The Golden Compass Bombs At The Box Office

December 10, 2007

The Golden Compass Compost Heap Reaps Big Losses For New Line/Warner Bros.

This is a follow up to my November 29, 2007 article and boycott request titled “Boycott The Movie The Golden Compass That Features A Child Killing God

Because the public boycotted the film the movie bombed…and not just a little, but a lot. It is being called the biggest bomb of the year – a title no studio wants.

Well done to all who did not go see this film. Why should Christians pay movie makers to insult our faith.

I think it’s only fair. They tried to kill our God so the church tried to kill their movie. Fair is fair. When Hollywood doesn’t like something they protest, does the church not have that same right.

Several sites reported the movie’s budget, as confirmed by the director, the thieving Chris Weitz, and the equally unoriginal Phillip “my books are about killing God” Pullman, was $250 million dollars (LOL) and they were hoping for a $60 million debut weekend, like the Chronicles Of Narnia, that was released this very weekend a year ago.

However, the Golden Compass opened in theaters with $26 million for the weekend, which is a major bomb under the circumstances. New Line/Warner Bros did not respond for comment to news outlets such as the AP and Reuters (LOL again).

Movie studios get 55% of the gross, while the other 45% ($11,700,000) goes to movie theaters for showing the films.

Therefore, thus far, they’ve made $14,300,000 in the U.S. and Canada on a $250,000,000 budget film that has no legs. Oh yea, and then there’s taxes. Hence, people calling the movie a major bomb.

They were positioning this demented tale to be the next major box office smash. It didn’t happen, but I want to know what grade of drugs they were smoking when they thought this was a good idea.

The National Ledger wrote, “Nicole Kidman and “The Golden Compass” Fail at the Box Office…The film was ripped as being “anti-Christian” and that controversy likely didn’t help the box office numbers.”

Deadline Hollywood wrote, “Golden Compass’ = 2007’s Bigger Bombs…This flop should sink New Line Cinema chairman Bob Shaye’s chances to stay on when his contract expires in 2008”

Cinematical wrote, “’The Golden Compass’ Crashes and Burns — Is Bob Shaye Finished?”

click here

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: